Bio-One Of East Irvine decontamination and biohazard cleaning services

How Harmful is Mold in a Home

Is Mold inside your home really that bad?

What is mold?

Molds break down plant and animal matter in the environment. They can grow almost anywhere there is moisture and organic material such as in soil, on foods and plants, and in people's homes. To reproduce, molds release spores, which can spread through air, water, or on animals.

 

How do I know if I have a mold problem?

You can usually see or smell a mold problem. Mold can appear as slightly fuzzy, discolored, or slimy patches that increase in size as they grow. Most molds produce musty odors that are the first indication of a problem. Mold can grow anywhere there is adequate moisture. The best way to find mold is to look for signs of mold growth, water staining, warping, or to follow your nose to the source of the odor. It may be necessary to look behind and underneath surfaces, such as carpets, wallpaper, cabinets, and walls. There are some areas of the home that are always susceptible to mold growth and should be part of routine cleaning to control mold growth.

 

Can mold make my family sick?

Exposure to mold can cause health effects in some people. Mold spores are always found in the air we breathe, but extensive mold contamination may cause health problems. Breathing mold can cause allergic and respiratory symptoms.

It is hard to say how much mold will cause health problems as some people are more sensitive to mold than others:

  • People with current respiratory conditions (e.g., allergies, asthma, or emphysema)
  • People with a compromised immune system 

Image

Image

What are symptoms and effects of mold exposure?

Allergy and irritation are the most common symptoms of mold exposure. Less common effects of mold exposure include infections and illness. Serious infections from molds are relatively rare and occur mainly in people with severely suppressed immune systems. Illness has been reported from workplace exposures to mold. Although symptoms can vary, the most common symptoms seen in people exposed to mold indoors include:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Eye irritation, such as itchy, red, watery eyes
  • Wheezing and difficulty breathing
  • Cough
  • Throat irritation
  • Skin irritation, such as a rash
  • Headache

Hiring a Mold Remediation Professional vs a Handyman

Mold professionals are licensed and skilled tradesmen, just like a plumber or electrician, so you can expect to get high quality decontamination in your home.

 

  • Proper safety gear should be worn when dealing with mold. High quality, high filtration face masks are a must, as are vinyl or neoprene gloves. A full protective suit is recommended when using harsh chemicals and for larger mold remediation projects.
  • Mold professionals use expensive, professional equipment such as HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) air scrubbers, HEPA vacuums, commercial-strength dehumidifiers, etc. Regular handymen won’t have that stuff.

 

 

Image

Call us for a free estimate!

 

www.biooneeastirvine.com / (949)774-8408 / info@biooneeastirvine.com

Request a service from your local Bio-One team.

Bio-One Of East Irvine

Bio-One Of East Irvine decontamination and biohazard cleaning services

    First Name*
    Last Name*
    Email*
    Phone*
    State
    City
    Zip Code
    Address
    Service